The Attitude of “Contentment” — Living as a “Voice” (Mouthpiece), Then Disappearing So That Only the “Word” (Message) Remains
The Attitude of “Contentment” — Living as a “Voice”
(Mouthpiece), Then Disappearing So That Only the “Word” (Message) Remains
“Again the next day John was standing
with two of his disciples, and he looked at Jesus as He walked, and said,
‘Behold, the Lamb of God!’ The two
disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. And Jesus turned and saw them following, and
said to them, ‘What do you seek?’ They
said to Him, ‘Rabbi (which translated means Teacher), where are You staying?’ He said to them, ‘Come, and you will see.’ So they came and saw where He was staying;
and they stayed with Him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. One of the
two who heard John speak and followed Him was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his own brother Simon and said
to him, ‘We have found the Messiah’ (which translated means Christ). He brought
him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and
said, ‘You are Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas’ (which is
translated Peter)” (John 1:35–42).
(1) When
I read today’s passage, John 1:35–42, in both the Korean Bible and the Greek
Bible, the first interesting point I noticed was that the Apostle John, who
wrote the Gospel of John, records in verses 35–36: “Again the next day John was
standing with two of his disciples, and he looked at Jesus as He walked, and
said, ‘Behold, the Lamb of God!’” Yet he
had already written in verse 29: “The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and
said, ‘Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!’” Why did the Apostle John record John the
Baptist’s testimony concerning Jesus Christ twice, repeating the words, “Behold,
the Lamb of God” [Ἴδε ὁ ἀμνὸς τοῦ θεοῦ (Ide ho amnos tou theou)] (vv. 29,
36)? And why did the Apostle John write,
“the next day” [Τῇ ἐπαύριον (Tē epaurion)] (v. 29), and then, “again
the next day” [Τῇ ἐπαύριον πάλιν (Tē epaurion palin)] (v. 35)?
1. The
Twice-Repeated Testimony: “Behold, the Lamb of God” [Ἴδε
ὁ ἀμνὸς τοῦ θεοῦ (Ide ho amnos tou theou)]
There
is a clear redemptive-historical purpose behind the Apostle John’s recording of
the same confession from the lips of John the Baptist on two consecutive days.
The
first proclamation in verse 29 → Proclaiming the “message of salvation” to the
whole world
Situation: Jesus
was coming toward John, and John made this proclamation to the crowd and,
ultimately, to the entire world.
Meaning:
Its purpose was publicly to proclaim that Jesus Christ is the eternal
substitutionary sacrifice who would bear and take away all the sins of
humanity—that He is the true fulfillment of the Passover lamb.
The
second proclamation in verse 36 → A “transfer of mission,” handing his
disciples over to Jesus
Situation: This
time John was not standing before the crowd. He was standing with “two of his
disciples” when he saw Jesus walking by.
Meaning:
Through this confession, John was giving his disciples a powerful spiritual
challenge: “I have taught you until now, but the One whom you must truly follow
and receive—the true central figure and your true Teacher—is that Lamb of God
walking there.”
Redemptive-historical
lesson: Through this repetition, the Apostle John demonstrates
how John the Baptist actually practiced in his life the spirituality of
self-denial that he would later confess: “He must increase, but I must
decrease” (Jn. 3:30). John was
fulfilling the mission of being a perfect bridge by willingly giving
even the finest disciples he had nurtured to Jesus, the true Light.
2.
The Theological Mystery of “the Next
Day” and “Again the Next Day”: A Reenactment of Creation Week
The
Apostle John carefully records the progression of days in John 1 almost as
though he were counting them on his fingers: “the next day” (v. 29), “again
the next day” (v. 35), and then another “the next day” in verse 43. Behind this detailed chronology is a
remarkable creation-related literary design connected with Genesis.
The First Creation Week in Genesis →
John’s “New Creation Week”
John
1:1 begins with precisely the same words as Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning” [Ἐν
ἀρχῇ (En archē)]. Genesis 1
describes the first creation week, from the first through the seventh day,
during which God created the entire universe by His Word. In John 1, the Apostle John intentionally
arranges what may be understood as a new week of re-creation (salvation),
in which Jesus Christ brings new life and light into this world.
The
progression of the days
Day
One — John 1:19–28: The Jewish leaders interrogate John the
Baptist about his identity, and John testifies that he is “the voice of one
crying in the wilderness.”
Day
Two — John 1:29–34 (“the next day”): John proclaims Jesus to
be “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” and testifies to the
descent and abiding presence of the Holy Spirit.
Day
Three — John 1:35–42 (“again the next day”): Two of John’s
disciples begin following Jesus, and Simon Peter encounters Jesus and receives
the name “Cephas.”
Day
Four — John 1:43–51 (“the next day”): Philip and Nathanael are
called to become Jesus’ disciples.
Day
Seven — John 2:1 (“on the third day”): Three days after the
fourth day, Jesus performs His first sign at the wedding at Cana, turning water
into wine and revealing His glory.
Theological
meaning: Just as God rested at the completion of the original
creation and declared His creation very good, this new creation week initiated
through Jesus Christ reaches its climax at the wedding feast at Cana—a scene
associated with joy and celebration. Through
this carefully marked sequence of days, John visually portrays Jesus as the One
who re-creates the broken universe and the human soul.
Powerful
lesson and application for today: When I am willing to
empty myself completely—even surrendering the most precious fruits of my life,
whether disciples, achievements, or things in which I take pride—in order to
exalt Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, only then can my life truly become a channel
of God’s re-creating work that leads others to the Lord.
Transferring
my glory to the Lord: If there are achievements I have
labored to cultivate in my family, church, or workplace, or if I have received
praise and affection from others through my own efforts—my own “disciples,” so
to speak—I must not try to bind them to myself as my possessions. Like John the Baptist, I must immediately
redirect their gaze toward Jesus: “Behold, the true central figure in all of
this is the Lamb of God.” When I
disappear and only the Lord remains, I believe the joy of God’s new
creation—the joy symbolized by the wedding at Cana—will begin in our lives.
(a) Here
I am deeply and profoundly impressed by the fact that John the Baptist
fulfilled the mission of being a “perfect bridge” by willingly giving the
finest disciples he had nurtured to Jesus, the true Light. In other words, he practiced the spirituality
of self-denial that he had confessed: “He must increase, but I must
decrease” (Jn. 3:30). The lesson I
receive is that, between Jesus and my wife, my children, the members of the
church I serve, and all the brothers and sisters involved in my Internet
ministry, I must decrease more and more so that Jesus alone may increase. In this way, I want humbly, sincerely,
faithfully, and quietly to carry out my ministry as a bridge. I never want to make “my disciples”—James’s
disciples. Rather, I simply want to participate in humble obedience in the
ministry through which the Lord Himself raises up disciples of Jesus. Specifically, then, what should I do, and how
should I do it? I believe the attitude
of my heart is extremely important.
(i)
In an age filled with the hypocrisy
of trying, like the Pharisees, to gather people around my own religious system
and make them “my people” (Jn. 1:24–25), the following are three concrete
attitudes of heart—three spiritual postures—suggested by AI for becoming a
“faithful bridge” who reveals only the Lord and then disappears.
a. The
attitude of a “steward” who does not claim “ownership”
When
the souls into whom I have poured my labor, teaching, and love—my children or
brothers and sisters in ministry—do not act according to my wishes, or when
they receive greater grace through someone else or through another environment
than through me, it is easy for feelings of disappointment or spiritual
jealousy to arise. That may be a
sign that, deep within my heart, a subtle sense of ownership is operating—the
idea that they are “my disciples.”
Attitude
of heart: Just as John the Baptist, upon seeing Jesus walking
by, immediately urged the two disciples he treasured toward the Lord by saying,
“Behold, the Lamb of God” (Jn. 1:35–36), I must daily acknowledge
that every soul entrusted to me is not my possession but the Lord’s
possession, temporarily entrusted to my stewardship.
Concrete
practice: Whenever I call the names of my family members and
the souls entrusted to me in prayer, I should confess: “Lord, they are not my
disciples but Your disciples. Let them love You more than they love me, and
after leading them to You, let me joyfully become a voice that disappears
behind the stage” (v. 23).
b. The
attitude of “contentment”: living as a “voice” and disappearing so that only
the “Word” remains
A
voice (mouthpiece) does not exist to display its own face. It is a
finite instrument that delivers only the King’s Word (Message) and then
disappears into the air without leaving a trace (v. 23).
Attitude
of heart: As I meditate day and night on the Word, the Bread of
Life, offer it back to God in prayer, and carry out a ministry of sharing it on
the Internet and in the places where I live, I must crucify the temptation to
make people remember my excellence, my wisdom, or the name “James.”
Concrete
practice: When comments about my ministry or compliments from
church members reach my ears, I must not use them as food to nourish my pride
or sense of accomplishment. Instead,
I should immediately turn on the searchlight of grace within my heart (Jn. 1:9;
cf. Eph. 5:13) and reflect all that glory back to the Lord: “I am not the
Light. I am merely a mirror reflecting the Light and a voice. If only the Lord
has been revealed, my joy is complete.”
(cf. Jn. 1:8, 20)
c. Maintaining
the “Immanuel perspective” without being imprisoned by human approval or
evaluation
John
the Baptist could boldly declare “I am not” [οὐκ εἰμί (ouk eimi)] before
the intimidating scrutiny of the authorities who had come down from Jerusalem
(vv. 19, 20, 21, 25). The reason
was that he was more deeply conscious of the reality of the Lord who was
already standing quietly among them than of the judgments of the world (v. 26).
Attitude
of heart: Even when people do not recognize my ministry, or
when hypocritical people like the Pharisees misunderstand and attack the pure
sound of the gospel I proclaim (vv. 23, 25), I should not fear people or become
preoccupied with defending myself.
Concrete
practice: I must fix my eyes solely on Jesus, who has come
beside me as Immanuel and quietly pitched His tent among us (vv. 14, 26). When I cease thirsting for human
consolation or artificial titles and continually receive wave upon wave of
“grace upon grace” on the basis of the divine life and grace by which God has
made me His child (vv. 12, 13, 16), I can become a firm and genuine bridge that
is not shaken by the world’s opinions.
Final
confession of encouragement for me:
“A
ministry in which the name tag ‘James’ is erased and only the eternal Word,
Jesus Christ, remains—this is, in God’s sight, the beginning and conclusion of
the most radiant and valuable life in the entire universe.”
Through
this steward-like offering of the heart, in which I willingly choose to
decrease so that I do not make my own disciples but raise only the Lord’s
disciples, the Holy Spirit is even today preparing most gloriously the highway
of the returning Lord in the wilderness of this world.
(b) I
am also astonished by the connection between Genesis 1 and the Apostle John’s
careful recording of the sequence of days in John 1—“the next day” in verse 29,
“again the next day” in verse 35, and “the next day” again in verse 43. Genesis 1 describes the week from the first
through the seventh day in which God created the entire universe through His
Word. In a corresponding way, the Apostle John seems intentionally to arrange
in John 1 a “new week of re-creation (salvation)” in which Jesus Christ
gives new life and light to the world. I
had never known this before. What I
learned in seminary was that the Apostle John organized the Gospel of John
around Jesus’ seven “I am” [Ἐγώ εἰμι (Egō eimi)] sayings and seven
signs. I learned that John wrote his
Gospel in a highly organized manner, but the connection between John 1 and
Genesis 1 is something I have encountered for the first time in my life, and it
amazes me. Therefore, through the
Apostle John’s connection between Genesis 1 and John 1, I wanted to understand,
even briefly, the broader flow of the Gospel of John in which he intentionally
presents this “new week of re-creation (salvation)”, through which Jesus
Christ gives new life and light to the world.
(i)
The Apostle John truly arranged the
opening of his Gospel in a carefully structured way to show how Jesus, the
Creator of the entire universe, re-creates (saves) our souls. The following is a concise and clear summary
provided by AI so that we can grasp at a glance the broader flow of John’s
deliberately arranged “new creation week.”
a. Day
One of the New Creation — John 1:19–28
Before
the Light fully appears, John the Baptist stands before the Jewish leaders who
are trapped in spiritual ignorance and darkness and identifies himself as “the
voice of one crying in the wilderness.” Just
as light and darkness were separated on the first day of Genesis, the sacred
stage for the new creation begins to open.
b.
Day Two of the New Creation — John
1:29–34
John
the Baptist proclaims Jesus to be: “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin
of the world.” The Holy Spirit
descends “from heaven” like a dove and remains upon Jesus. Like the second day of Genesis, when the
expanse separated the waters, this signifies that the closed heavens have been
opened and an eternal channel of spiritual grace has been established.
c.
Day Three of the New Creation — John
1:35–42
Two
of John’s disciples finally begin following Jesus, the true Light, and Simon
receives a new name: “Cephas” (Peter, Rock).
Just as the waters receded, dry ground appeared, and vegetation
began to grow, the spiritual soil of the first community of disciples—the
church—begins to take shape upon the holy Rock, Jesus.
d. Day
Four of the New Creation — John 1:43–51
Philip
and Nathanael are called as disciples, and Nathanael confesses Jesus as “the
King of Israel.” Just as the sun,
moon, and stars were appointed on the fourth day of Genesis to govern the
created order, the opened heaven and the vision of angels ascending and
descending upon the Son of Man reveal brilliantly, through the disciples’
confession, that Jesus is the true Ruler of heaven and the entire universe.
e. Days
Five and Six of the New Creation
Between
the lines of the narrative, the Apostle John quietly allows time to pass as the
disciples travel with Jesus toward Galilee.
Just as living creatures multiplied in Genesis and humanity was finally
created and formed into a family, the sons of God now breathe and journey
together with the Lord, maturing into a new spiritual family—a community of
disciples.
f.
Day Seven of the New Creation — John
2:1–11
“On
the third day” after the fourth day, the seventh day finally arrives, and at
the wedding feast at Cana Jesus performs His first sign, turning water
into wine. Just as God completed
creation and rested on the seventh day of Genesis, Jesus brings true joy and
the rest of the heavenly banquet into the very center of a human world filled
with lack and sorrow. In doing so, He
gloriously reveals His glory as Creator.
Final
theological summary:
Ultimately,
the reason the Apostle John records the sequence of days so carefully in John
1–2 is to proclaim that the very God who created the entire universe through
the Word in the beginning (Genesis 1) is now accomplishing the perfect work of re-creation
(salvation), bringing our souls—completely broken and dried up by sin—back
to life through the Word and the Holy Spirit.
(2) Second,
when I read John 1:35–42 in the Greek Bible, I noticed the repeated use of the
word “follow”: “followed” — ἠκολούθησαν (ēkolouthēsan) (v. 37), “following”
— ἀκολουθοῦντας (akolouthountas) (v. 38), and “had followed” — ἀκολουθησάντων
(akolouthēsantōn) (v. 40). I wanted
to understand their specific meanings and also receive instruction about how
we, as genuine disciples of Jesus, should follow Him.
(a)
In John 1:35–42, the Apostle John
repeats the word “follow” three consecutive times using different
grammatical forms. Through this
repetition he powerfully portrays the beginning, process, and essence of
genuine discipleship that should take place in the life of a believer who
has encountered Jesus Christ. Through
the specific meaning and spiritual background of the Greek verb ἀκολουθέω
(akoloutheō), “to follow,” AI presented three dimensions of instruction
concerning how we should follow the Lord as His disciples today.
1. The
mystery of “following” in three stages as seen through the Greek forms
Stage One (v. 37) à ἠκολούθησαν
(ēkolouthēsan — aorist): “decisive following that changes the direction of
one’s life”
Meaning:
When John the Baptist pointed to Jesus and cried, “Behold, the Lamb of God,”
the two disciples immediately “followed” Jesus. This was more than physically walking behind
Him. They decisively left behind the
shadow of John the Baptist—the teacher and environment that had shaped their
previous lives—and turned the direction of their lives toward a new goal: Jesus
Christ. It was a decisive event, a
radical turn in the direction of their lives.
Stage
Two (v. 38) à ἀκολουθοῦντας (akolouthountas —
present participle): “continuous following in constant companionship”
Meaning: Jesus
turned, saw them “following,” and questioned them. The present participle portrays them as
actually being in the process of following Him.
Spiritually applied, this points us toward a faithful posture of
continually walking with the Lord—not following Him briefly out of momentary
curiosity, but continually keeping pace with Him throughout life.
Stage
Three (v. 40) à ἀκολουθησάντων (akolouthēsantōn —
aorist participle): “following that becomes part of one’s identity and mission”
Meaning: One
of the two who had heard John and “followed” Jesus is identified as
Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. That
decisive act of following Jesus now becomes an indelible part of Andrew’s
story. He is identified as one of those
who heard John and followed Jesus.
2.
Three powerful lessons of
discipleship from ἀκολουθέω (“to follow”)
What, then, does this threefold
repetition teach those of us who are disciples of Jesus today?
① We must
leave behind our familiar boundaries and “personal stake” as though they were
rubbish (The lesson of verse 37)
The
two disciples had been disciples of John the Baptist, one of the great
spiritual figures of Jewish society. Had
they remained there, they might have continued enjoying recognition and
spiritual privilege. But when they
encountered Jesus, the Lamb, they left their familiar boundaries and followed
the Lord.
Concrete
application: This corresponds to the steward-like
confession I have made: “I will not make disciples for myself. In order to
raise only disciples of Jesus, I will decrease completely so that the Lord
alone may increase.” The first step
of discipleship is to empty myself of the achievements of my ministry, my
pride, and the religious territory through which I want recognition, and to
rise up holding onto Jesus alone.
② Every moment of daily life must become a “present-progressive”
following of the Lord (The lesson of ἀκολουθοῦντας in verse 38)
Discipleship
is not a life of resting on a receipt proving that I once received great grace
in the past, nor is it resting on theological knowledge acquired in seminary. Every morning when I open my eyes, I must
tune my ears to the voice of the Lord who leads me today, at this present
moment, and continually adjust my steps to His. This is discipleship as an ongoing walk.
Concrete
application: The calling I have resolved to fulfill—“to
meditate day and night on the Lord’s Word, the Bread of Life, offer it back to
Him in prayer, and faithfully carry out the ministry of sharing it in faith
until the end”—is precisely this present-progressive following. I must not live today on yesterday’s
meditation. Rather, before each new wave
of the Word every day, I must allow the darkness within me to be exposed and
walk with the Lord as Immanuel every minute and every second.
③ We must walk behind the Lord with our eyes
fixed only upon Him (The essential meaning)
The
disciple does not run ahead of the Lord, pushing things forward through personal
wisdom or impulsive zeal. The disciple
stands behind the Lord. When the Lord
stops, the disciple stops. When the Lord
walks, the disciple walks.
Concrete
application: Just as John the Baptist denied himself
before Jesus, lowered himself beneath the position of a slave, and became a
“voice” that quietly disappeared, we too must not place our names or personal
values at the forefront of ministry or work.
Instead, we must become channels that reflect to the world the
gentleness and humility—the character—of Jesus Christ who walks ahead of us.
Final
confession applying today’s meditation to myself:
“I
am one who has gladly left behind my name and privileges as rubbish (v. 37); I
am a disciple who, even today, walks every moment of life in step with the Lord
Immanuel in an ongoing present-tense relationship (v. 38); and I am a faithful
voice who does not put my own wisdom first but devotes my entire life to
reflecting the humble character of the Lord who walks before me (v. 40).”
(3) Third,
as I meditated on John 1:38, where Jesus “turned and saw them following”
and asked, “What do you seek?”, and the two disciples of John the
Baptist answered, “Rabbi, where are You staying?”, three specific
questions arose in my heart. First, why
did Jesus ask: “What do you seek?” [Τί ζητεῖτε; (Ti zēteite?)] Second, why did the two disciples ask: “Rabbi,
where are You staying?” [Ῥαββί, ποῦ μένεις; (Rhabbi, pou meneis?)] Third, Scripture says that Jesus “turned”
[στραφεὶς (strapheis)]. When I read
this word, Luke 22:61 came to mind: “The Lord turned and looked at Peter.
And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how He had told him, ‘Before a
rooster crows today, you will deny Me three times.’” I realized that the Greek word describing
the Lord “turning” [στραφεὶς (strapheis)] to look at Peter is the same
form used in John 1:38 when Jesus “turned” [στραφεὶς (strapheis)] toward
the disciples. This caused another
question to arise: What is in the heart of Jesus when He “turns” and looks
at His disciple?
1. First
question: Why did the Lord ask, “What do you seek?” [Τί
ζητεῖτε; (Ti zēteite?)]
Meaning of the original
language and theological impact: The verb underlying
“seek,” ζητέω (zēteō), means “to seek” or “to look for,” and in context
can concern what one is pursuing or desiring.
The Lord’s intention:
The Lord is penetrating to the deepest motivation and purpose within these two
disciples who have begun following Him: “What are you really seeking by
following Me? Is it worldly success, honor, privilege, or religious status? Or
are you coming because you desire Me—the true Light and Life Himself?”
Lesson for today:
This same question becomes a spiritual test for those of us who meditate on and
share the Lord’s Word day and night. In
ministry and in the life of faith, I must examine the motives of my heart every
day: Am I seeking some worldly “thing” through which I can increase and prove
my own name? Or am I seeking Jesus
Christ alone?
2. Second
question: Why did the disciples ask, “Where are You staying?” [ποῦ
μένεις; (pou meneis?)]
Original Meaning and
Relational Longing: The Greek word underlying the phrase
translated as "are You staying?" is meneis (μένεις), derived from the
root menō (μένω—to stay, abide, or dwell). This is the same word used in verses
32–33—which we meditated on earlier—to describe the Holy Spirit
"remaining" (menon) upon Jesus, and it is the same holy word found in
John 15: "Abide in Me" (menate en emoi).
The disciples’ intention: When
the Lord asked them what they sought, the disciples did not ask for a great
mission or impressive theological knowledge.
They asked where He was staying. Their
question expresses a desire not merely to obtain information about Jesus but to
enter His space, spend time with Him, and know Him personally.
Lesson for today:
The true disciple does not ultimately seek merely the gifts the Lord
gives—blessing, success, or the size of a ministry. The disciple seeks the Lord Himself—His
presence. To remain with the Lord,
personally fellowship with Him, and increasingly become like Him must become
the central desire of my life.
3.
Third question: What is the heart of
the Lord who “turns” [στραφεὶς (strapheis)] and looks?
John 1:38 describes Jesus turning
toward His first disciples, while Luke 22:61 describes the Lord turning toward
Peter after Peter’s denial. Both passages use the aorist participle στραφεὶς,
from στρέφω (strephō), “to turn.” When
these two scenes are read together devotionally, they form a striking contrast
between the beginning of discipleship and Peter’s later failure.
The
“turning” of John 1:38 → “I see you as you begin to follow Me”
The
Lord turns and faces the disciples who have begun walking behind Him. He initiates the conversation and invites
them to articulate what they seek. This
is grace meeting the disciple at the beginning of the journey.
The
“turning” of Luke 22:61 → “Even in your failure, I see you”
At
the tragic moment when Peter denies the Lord and the rooster crows, Jesus turns
and looks directly at Peter. Luke tells
us that this look causes Peter to remember the Lord’s words. Read alongside John 1:38, the scene offers a
powerful devotional picture: the Lord who turned toward disciples at the
beginning is also the Lord whose gaze reaches Peter in the hour of his failure.
One-sentence
summary and final lesson:
When
Jesus turns [στραφεὶς] and looks upon us, He confronts us personally with His
presence; therefore, the deepest desire of a disciple should not be to seek
[ζητέω] the perishable things of the world but to remain [μένω] with the Lord
in personal fellowship day after day.
The
essence of the ministry I have resolved to pursue—“meditating day and night
on the Word, the Bread of Life, offering it back to God in prayer, and sharing
it with others”—is precisely this spirituality of: ποῦ μένεις — “Lord,
where are You staying?” Rather than
seeking ministry results or human reputation, I want every day to encounter the
Lord in His Word, to remain with Him, and to live in the joy of His presence.
(4) Fourth,
as I meditate on Jesus’ words, “Come, and you will see” [Ἔρχεσθε καὶ ὄψεσθε (Erchesthe
kai opsesthe)] (Jn. 1:39), I also want to meditate on Philip’s evangelistic
invitation to Nathanael after encountering Jesus: “Come and see” [Ἔρχου καὶ ἴδε
(Erchou kai ide)] (Jn. 1:46), and on the Samaritan woman who, after meeting
Jesus at the well and realizing that He might be the Messiah, ran to the people
of her town and cried: “Come, see … Could this be the Christ?” [Δεῦτε ἴδετε (Deute
idete)] (4:29). What must we do, and
how should we do it, if we too are to evangelize like Philip and the Samaritan
woman through this invitation: “Come and see”?
(a) When
we compare the nuances of the Greek expressions used in these three passages,
they teach us three concrete spiritual principles and practices for becoming
the Philips and Samaritan women of our generation and leading people to Jesus
Christ, the true Light.
1. The
source of evangelism: I must first possess the joy of “abiding fellowship” with
the Lord (What?)
John 1:39 à Ἔρχεσθε
καὶ ὄψεσθε (Erchesthe kai opsesthe): “Come, and you will see.”
Meaning: The
Lord’s invitation to the two disciples is not merely an invitation to look
around. That day they went to where the
Lord was staying and remained with Him.
Before anything else, they personally experienced fellowship with Jesus.
Lesson:
I cannot faithfully bear witness to a Lord whom I do not personally know in
fellowship. The starting point of
evangelism and a ministry of sharing the Word is not dazzling evangelistic
technique but my own present experience of remaining with the Lord in the
sanctuary of His Word.
Concrete practice:
As I have resolved, I must first worship spiritually each day by deeply
meditating day and night upon the Word, the Bread of Life, and offering it back
to God in prayer so that my own heart may be filled with His grace and truth. When I myself am saturated with the Lord’s
love, genuine authority is born in the voice that says: “Come and see.”
2. The
method of evangelism: Do not merely argue; bring people face-to-face with Jesus
Himself (How?)
John
1:46 à Ἔρχου
καὶ ἴδε (Erchou kai ide): “Come and see.”
Meaning: When
Nathanael objected, “Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?” Philip did not engage him in an extended
theological argument. He simply said: “Come
and see.”
Lesson: Deep
prejudice and hardened assumptions are not necessarily broken by human
eloquence or logical persuasion. Evangelism
is not fundamentally my act of defeating another person in an argument. It is the ministry of becoming a bridge so
that the other person may personally encounter Jesus Christ, the Word.
Concrete practice:
When sharing the gospel through Internet ministry or everyday life, I should
not try to display my knowledge and experience.
I should first listen quietly and compassionately to the other person’s
struggles and wounds, and then sincerely point that person toward the essence
of the gospel: “Please encounter for yourself Jesus, the Lamb of God who
bore the darkness and sin of my life.” I
must present Jesus Christ, His cross, and His Word.
3. The
boldness of evangelism: Leave behind shame and privilege and run as a living
“voice.” (How?)
John
4:29 à Δεῦτε
ἴδετε (Deute idete): “Come, see.”
The Samaritan woman
encountered the Lord beside the well, where the darkness of her life was
exposed before the true Light. Yet after
encountering His grace, she left her waterpot, went into the town, and said to
the people: “Come, see a man who told me all the things that I have done;
this is not the Christ, is it?”
Lesson:
The person who encounters the true Light can receive a new boldness that is no
longer governed by shame or social reputation.
If I remain chained to anxiety about other people’s opinions, my
reputation, or my past wounds—my “waterpot”—I cannot freely become a voice
pointing others toward the Lord.
Concrete practice:
I must lay down the worldly anxieties and desire for recognition that bind my
life today. I must relinquish any sense
of ownership over ministry achievements, children, or church members, refusing
to make them “my disciples.” Instead, I
should bear witness boldly to Jesus: “Could this be the Christ?”
Final lesson
running through all three invitations to “Come and see”:
Evangelism
means first experiencing the Lord’s presence by remaining with Him in His Word
(1:39), refusing to make argument the center but directing people to Jesus
Himself (1:46), and joyfully leaving behind the waterpot of pride and shame
(4:28–29) so that I may become a faithful bridge connecting the souls around me
to Jesus Christ, the true Light. The
ministry of sharing the Word that I have resolved to carry out is precisely
this holy ministry of “Come and See.”
(5) Fifth,
as I meditate on John 1:40–42, I want to receive guidance and instruction
concerning family evangelism from Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, one of
the two who heard John the Baptist and followed Jesus. Scripture says that Andrew: “first found
his own brother Simon”
[εὑρίσκει οὗτος πρῶτον τὸν ἀδελφὸν τὸν ἴδιον Σίμωνα (heuriskei houtos prōton
ton adelphon ton idion Simōna)], said, “We have found the Messiah” [Εὑρήκαμεν
τὸν Μεσσίαν
(Heurēkamen ton Messian)], and “brought him to Jesus” [ἤγαγεν αὐτὸν πρὸς
τὸν Ἰησοῦν
(ēgagen auton pros ton Iēsoun)] (Jn. 1:40–42).
(a)
Andrew’s actions in John 1:40–42
provide a beautiful biblical model for family evangelism. After experiencing the joy of remaining with
Jesus in fellowship, the first thing Andrew did was find his closest family
member, Simon, and lead him to the Lord.
Through the vivid Greek expressions in the text, AI summarized four
practical guidelines and lessons for leading our spouse, children, and
relatives to Jesus Christ, the true Light.
1. Guideline
One: The urgency of spiritual priority → “first” [πρῶτον
(prōton)]
Meaning:
The adverb πρῶτον means “first.” Andrew’s
first recorded response after encountering Jesus was to seek his brother.
Lesson for family
evangelism: One of the most immediate mission fields
God has placed before us is our own household.
Just as Simon came to Andrew’s mind after Andrew encountered the Lord,
the souls of our spouse and children should hold a place of great importance
upon the altar of our prayers and calling.
No matter how fruitful ministry in the wider world may become, we should
not neglect the work of cultivating our own household with the gospel.
2. Guideline
Two: The loving pursuit that does not give up → “finds” [εὑρίσκει
(heuriskei)]
Meaning: εὑρίσκει
is a present-tense verb meaning “finds.”
In the narrative, the present tense gives vividness to Andrew’s action:
he finds Simon. Devotionally, this
encourages us toward persistent, loving concern for those closest to us.
Lesson for family
evangelism: Our closest family members often know our
weaknesses and spiritual inconsistencies better than anyone else, and for that
very reason they can sometimes be the most difficult people to evangelize. Even when a child or spouse closes the heart
and rejects what we say, we should not give up in discouragement. Depending upon the Holy Spirit, we must
continue cultivating the soil of their hearts through prayer and quietly pursue
them with patient love.
3. Guideline
Three: The language of perfect-tense assurance → “We have found the Messiah” [Εὑρήκαμεν
(Heurēkamen)]
Meaning: Εὑρήκαμεν
is perfect in form: “We have found.” Andrew
is not merely communicating abstract theological information. He speaks from the reality of an encounter
that has taken place and now shapes his present conviction: “We have found
the Messiah.”
Lesson for family
evangelism: What touches the hearts of family members
is not theological brilliance or coercion.
It is the continuing joy of Jesus Christ and the transformed character
flowing from a life that has truly encountered Him. When I meditate day and night upon the Word,
the Bread of Life, offer it to God in prayer, and allow the power of that Word
to overflow through my character like the wine at the wedding feast of Cana, my
family can see the testimony of a changed life and be drawn toward Jesus.
4. Guideline
Four: Leading while surrendering my own claim → “he brought him to Jesus” [ἤγαγεν
(ēgagen)]
Meaning:
Andrew brings Simon to Jesus. The
destination is not Andrew himself. He
does not bring Simon under his own spiritual ownership; he brings him to
Christ.
Lesson for family
evangelism: The spirituality of John the Baptist as
the “perfect bridge” is reproduced through Andrew. The essence of family evangelism is not using
my authority to force my wife or children into submission. I must decrease and become a disappearing
“voice,” quietly laying a bridge so that my beloved family members can
personally encounter Jesus as Savior and Lord and become His disciples.
Final
spiritual guideline for family evangelism:
Family
evangelism means that I first possess in my own life the continuing testimony
of the Lord’s abundant grace, place the souls of my closest family members high
among my priorities in prayer, continue loving them patiently even through
rejection and discouragement by the power of the Holy Spirit, and humbly become
a bridge so that they ultimately stand not as my people but as true disciples
of Jesus.
(6) Sixth
and last, I want to meditate on Jesus’ words to Simon Peter: “You are Simon
the son of John; you shall be called Cephas” [Σὺ εἶ Σίμων ὁ υἱὸς Ἰωάννου· σὺ
κληθήσῃ Κηφᾶς (Sy ei Simōn ho huios Iōannou; sy klēthēsē Kēphas)] (Jn.
1:42). The reason is that I want to
meditate on this passage in connection with Matthew 16:18, the word of promise
the Lord has given to Victory Presbyterian Church, where I serve: “I also
say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and
the gates of Hades will not overpower it” [κἀγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ
Πέτρος, καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν, καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ
κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς (kagō de soi legō hoti sy ei Petros, kai epi tautē tē petra
oikodomēsō mou tēn ekklēsian, kai pylai hadou ou katischysousin autēs)]. I want to receive the lessons the Lord gives
through connecting these passages.
1. The
re-creating gaze that sees through “Simon’s present weakness” to “Cephas’s
future glory”
John
1:42 à σὺ
κληθήσῃ Κηφᾶς (sy klēthēsē Kēphas): “You shall be called Cephas.”
Specific meaning:
When Jesus first meets Simon, He identifies him by his existing name and family
identity—“Simon, son of John”—and immediately gives him a name pointing
toward his future: “You shall be called Cephas.” κληθήσῃ (klēthēsē) is future passive: “you
will be called.”
At this point, Simon was
still an imperfect man who would later display instability and even deny Jesus
three times. Yet the Creator’s gaze was
not imprisoned by Simon’s present weakness.
The Lord looked toward what Simon would become through His transforming
grace and named him accordingly: Cephas—Rock.
2. The
church that overcomes the gates of Hades is built upon the “rock” of confession
Matthew
16:18 à ἐπὶ
ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ (epi tautē tē petra): “upon this rock.”
Specific meaning: The
promise Jesus gave Simon in John 1—that he would be called Cephas—finds a
profound later connection with Peter’s confession in Matthew 16: “You are
the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus responds by
speaking of Peter, the rock, and of the rock upon which He will build His
church. Within the meditation developed
here, the emphasis falls on the rock-like confession concerning who Jesus
is—the truth proclaimed throughout John 1: Jesus is the true Light, the Lamb of
God, and the eternal Son of God. The
Lord Himself builds His church upon the truth concerning Christ confessed
through divine revelation.
3. Three
central lessons for Victory Presbyterian Church and my ministry
① The true authority of Victory Presbyterian
Church comes solely from a pure confession of faith.
The Lord does not desire
Victory Presbyterian Church to stand upon human religious traditions,
hypocritical systems, or merely human measurements of size and success. When the church stands upon a rock-like
confession that rightly knows and receives Jesus Christ for who He is, the Lord
Himself calls it: “My church.” He
is its true owner and builder.
② The gates of Hades [πύλαι ᾅδου (pylai hadou)]
will never overpower the church.
The declaration in
Matthew 16:18 that the gates of Hades will not prevail against Christ’s church
can be read devotionally alongside the cosmic declaration of John 1:5: “The
Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.” Even when the powers of death and the
darkness of the world attack the church and its ministry, the church need not
fear. Its confidence rests in the true
Light, Jesus Christ, and in His promise to build His church.
③ Do not become discouraged when I see “Simon”
within me; trust the Lord who is shaping me into “Cephas.”
Application to my life
today: As I carry out the ministry of meditating on and
sharing the Word day and night, there will be times when I encounter weakness
and limitations still remaining within me—the “Simon” in me—and become
discouraged. At such moments, I must
remember the gaze of Jesus in John 1:42.
The Lord saw Simon as he was, yet also named the man he would become. Therefore, as I quietly walk the narrow path
of self-denial—erasing myself and putting the Lord alone in the foreground—I
trust that the Lord will use the altar of faithful meditation, sharing, and
confession to build Victory Presbyterian Church and many souls of this
generation firmly upon the unshakable rock of His kingdom.
Concluding
Summary of John 1:35–42
When
we leave behind the privileges and “waterpots” of the world and enter into
abiding fellowship with Jesus, the true Light (vv. 37–39), there arises within
us the settled confession, “We have found the Messiah” (v. 41); and the Lord
takes hold of our weak lives—our “Simon”—and, by His transforming grace, shapes
us into “Cephas,” a rock, while He Himself builds His church against which the
gates of Hades will never prevail (v. 42; Mt. 16:18).
댓글
댓글 쓰기