Chapter 2:
What Does Emptying Mean for a Christian?
In Chapter 1, we examined
the Incarnation and self-emptying of Jesus Christ—that is, the meaning of Kenosis.
When we say that Jesus emptied Himself, it does not mean that He gave up His
divinity. Rather, although He was the Son of God, He did not cling to the glory
and rights that were His for His own advantage, but humbled Himself by taking
the form of a servant. And that emptying was brought to completion through His
obedience and death on the cross.
Now, then, we must ask: As
disciples of Jesus, how are we to empty ourselves? Christian emptying is not simply a religious
resolution to give something up. Nor is
emptying completed merely by letting go of one desire, giving up one plan, or
sharing a portion of our possessions. Christian
emptying is a life in which we acknowledge that God, not we ourselves, is the
Lord of our lives, and offer ourselves to the will of God. Paul demonstrates this kind of emptying
through his own life. In Philippians 2:17, he confesses: “But even if I am
being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from
your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.” The “drink offering” Paul speaks of here
refers to the Old Testament practice of pouring wine over an offering as part
of a sacrifice. Paul confesses that if
even his life and ministry could be offered to God, he would count it a joy. This confession shows us how far Christian
emptying is meant to go. Emptying does
not end with possessing a little less. It goes as far as offering ourselves to
God.
Christian
Emptying Means Emptying Ourselves of the Desire to Be Our Own Master
As we go through life, we
constantly try to be the masters of our own lives. We want to make the plans, make the decisions,
remain in control, and have things work out in the direction we desire. That is why, even when we pray to God, we
often actually ask Him to accomplish our own will. But Christian emptying begins here: “My
life does not belong to me; it belongs to God.” This confession must become a reality in our
daily lives. Even when what I desire
does not happen, I must trust God. Even
when a path opens that differs from my plan, I must ask what the Lord desires. Even when honesty costs me something, I must
choose honesty. Even when I believe I am
right, I must examine myself again before the Word of God. This is what it means to empty ourselves of
self-sovereignty. Emptying does not mean
doing nothing. Rather, it means actively living according to the will of God. Our prayer changes from: “Lord, please make
things happen the way I want,” to: “Lord, let Your will be done rather than
what I want.”
Christian
Emptying Means Honestly Emptying the Sin and Desires Within Us
When we begin to empty
ourselves of the desire to be our own masters, we naturally begin to see what
has been occupying our hearts. There may
be pride. There may be greed. There may be a desire for recognition. There may be a desire to appear to others as
a good person. There may be stubbornness
that wants to prove that I am right. Even
while outwardly living a diligent life of faith, such desires may remain deep
within our hearts. Therefore, Christian
emptying means placing our hearts before the Word of God every day. “Lord, what still remains within me?” “What am I holding on to?” “What is making me angry?” “What am I afraid of losing?” “What am I doing in order to gain the
approval of others?” We must be honest
before these questions. And when God
reveals something to us, we must acknowledge it and repent. Emptying begins not by hiding the sin within
us, but by exposing it before God. If we
discover pride, we must bring that pride before God and empty ourselves of it. If we discover greed, we must acknowledge
that greed and empty ourselves of it. If
we discover hatred, we must not conceal it but empty ourselves of it. If we discover hypocrisy, we must strip it
away and empty ourselves of it. We will
examine these specific areas of emptying one by one in Chapters 4 through 12.
Christian Emptying Means Filling the
Empty Place with Christ
Yet we must not forget a
very important truth. Emptying itself is
not the goal. We may empty greed from
our hearts, only for another form of greed to take its place. We may think we have emptied ourselves of
pride, only to become proud of the fact that “I am not proud.” Therefore, the emptying described in
Scripture does not mean simply making the heart empty. It means filling the emptied place with
Christ. Christian emptying does not mean
leaving the heart in an empty state; it means progressively filling the emptied
place with the mind of Christ. Ultimately,
Christian emptying is the process of becoming more like Christ. That is why Paul exhorts us in Philippians
2:5: “In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ
Jesus.” The reason we empty ourselves is
not simply to become “good people.” It
is so that the mind of Christ may dwell within us.
Christian Emptying Is Expressed
through Self-Denial
Jesus spoke very clearly
to His disciples about the Christian life: “Whoever wants to be my disciple
must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me” (Mt. 16:24). To “deny oneself” does not mean denying our
existence or hating ourselves. It means
emptying ourselves of the desire to be the ultimate master of our own lives. It means putting the Lord’s will before our
own. It means choosing love over
personal comfort. It means choosing
service over our rights. It means
choosing reconciliation over our pride. It
means choosing truth over personal gain.
This is self-denial. Therefore,
self-denial does not end with a single emotional decision. It takes place
through our daily choices. Today, will I
choose my own will, or will I choose God’s will? Today, will I insist on my rights, or will I
serve in love? Today, will I exalt
myself, or will I build someone else up?
These small choices come together to form a Christian life of emptying.
Emptying Myself in the Home
Where, then, should this
emptying begin? It must begin in the
place closest to us: the home. It
is difficult to hide who we really are at home because our spouse and children
see us more closely than anyone else. Therefore,
emptying in the home must be very practical.
Instead of waiting for my spouse to understand me first, I should first
seek to understand my spouse. Instead of
waiting for the other person to apologize first, I should be the first to
extend a hand of reconciliation. Rather
than clinging only to the thought, “I am right,” I should listen to the other
person all the way through. Rather than
bringing up past wrongs one by one in order to attack the other person, I
should forgive and begin again. Rather
than viewing my children’s future as a means of enhancing my own honor and
success, I should entrust them to God and raise them in love. This is emptying in the home. Husbands and wives, in particular, should
love and respect one another according to the love of Christ rather than
insisting on their own rights (Eph. 5:25, 33).
In the home, the first person I need to empty is not the other person,
but myself.
Emptying Myself in the Church
Community
Emptying must also be
expressed very practically in the church.
When we hold a position of responsibility in the church, a desire for
recognition may arise. We may want
others to notice what we have done and acknowledge that we are right. But in the Lord’s church, what matters is not
how high I have risen, but how much I have helped others to grow. Jesus said: “Anyone who wants to be first
must be the very last, and the servant of all” (Mk. 9:35). Emptying myself in the church does not mean
abandoning my position or ministry. Rather,
it means understanding that a position in the church is not a place for
exalting myself, but a place for serving.
It means giving glory to God when I am praised, listening humbly when I
hear opinions different from my own, quietly doing what needs to be done even
when no one recognizes it, and willingly making room for others so that they
may grow. I am not the Lord of the
church. Jesus Christ alone is the Lord of the church. Therefore, rather than exalting ourselves
because of our position, experience, or knowledge, we must humble ourselves in
order to build up the body of Christ.
Emptying
Myself in the Workplace
The workplace is also an
important place where Christian emptying is tested. We want recognition at work. We want promotions. We want greater compensation. Sometimes we may think that a little
manipulation or exaggeration is acceptable if it helps us defeat a competitor. But Christian emptying means choosing honesty
in the workplace as well. We should not
work diligently only when our supervisor is watching; we should be faithful
even when no one sees us. We must not
use others for our own benefit. We must
not lie or speak maliciously about competitors in order to bring them down. We must not misuse company property, time, or
resources as though they belonged to us personally. Even when we encounter unfair treatment, we
must not repay evil with evil. Why? Because the ultimate Master we serve is not a
human being, but God. Ephesians 6:7
says: “Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people.” Emptying in the workplace means emptying
ourselves of a life governed by the eyes of other people and living honestly
before the eyes of God.
Emptying
Is Expressed through Service
From what we have seen so
far, it becomes clear where Christian emptying leads. Emptying naturally leads to a life of
service. Through His self-emptying,
Jesus became a servant, and as a servant He served us. In Matthew 20:27–28, the Lord said: “Whoever
wants to be first must be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be
served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Jesus’ emptying moved toward the cross. And on that cross, the Lord gave His life for
us. Therefore, Christian emptying must
lead to a life of loving and building up others. Only when I empty myself of the desire to be
at the center can I truly notice the needs of others and serve them in love. In this way, emptying makes love possible,
and love expresses itself through service.
Three
Ways to Practice “Emptying” Every Day
How, then, can we train ourselves in emptying in our daily lives? Ask yourself three questions each day.
First, what am I
holding on to today?
Examine what you may be
clinging to excessively. It may be
money. It may be honor or status. It may be the approval of others. It may be your own will and plans. It may be past wounds or resentment. Acknowledge it honestly before God and empty
yourself of it.
Second, what will
I choose today?
Emptying does not end in
our thoughts. How will I speak when I am
angry? How will I act when I suffer a
loss? How will I treat someone who does
not recognize or appreciate me? How will
I receive someone whose views differ from mine?
It is precisely in moments like these that self-denial becomes real. Choose the way of the Word rather than the
way your emotions want to go.
Third, what will I
use to fill the place I have emptied?
Do not stop after
emptying. Do not stop after emptying. Fill the emptied place with the Word and the
mind of Christ. Above all, choose the
mind of Christ. When emptying and
filling go together in this way, our faith moves beyond mere self-discipline
and becomes a path of discipleship through which we grow in the likeness of
Christ.
Emptying
Leads to a Life of Service
Christian emptying does
not simply mean giving up what belongs to me.
It means acknowledging that I am not the Lord of my life. It means emptying myself of my own will and
choosing the will of God. It means
emptying myself of greed and choosing love.
It means emptying myself of my rights and choosing service. It means emptying myself of self-glory and
exalting Christ. And it means filling
the emptied place with the Word of God and the mind of Christ. Just as Jesus humbled Himself and took the
form of a servant, we too must humble ourselves in our daily lives and serve
our neighbors in love. Therefore,
Christian emptying can be summarized in one sentence: “Emptying myself of
the desire to be my own master and offering myself to God so that Christ may be
the Lord of my life.” And this
emptying must necessarily move to the next step. The person who empties himself becomes a
person who serves. If Jesus emptied
Himself and became a servant, then we who follow Him must likewise empty
ourselves and move into the place of serving our neighbors.
댓글
댓글 쓰기