Chapter 11:
Emptying “Grumbling”
In the previous chapter,
we looked at the life of emptying ourselves of sexual immorality and wrongful
desires and turning our love back toward God. Now, in Chapter 11, we will look at another
problem that easily settles into our hearts and onto our lips. It is a grumbling heart.
As we go through life,
there are many moments when we grumble. “Why
did this happen to me?” “Why does that
person treat me this way?” “Why is my
family going through such a difficult time?”
“Why is the church like this?” “Why
did God allow this?” Even when we do not
speak these words aloud, we may repeat them countless times in our hearts. But in the Bible, grumbling is not merely a
matter of uttering a few complaints. Grumbling can change the direction of our
gaze, cause us to forget God’s grace, and even change the way we look at people
and circumstances. Therefore, emptying
ourselves of grumbling does not simply mean refraining from complaining. It means examining before God and emptying
ourselves of the distrust, dissatisfaction, and desire to shift responsibility
onto others that lie at the root of grumbling, and then filling that place with
faith and gratitude.
At
the Root of Grumbling Is a Heart That Does Not Trust God
When we look at the
Israelites’ life in the wilderness, we repeatedly see them grumbling. They grumbled when there was no water. They grumbled when there was not enough food. They grumbled even when they stood before the
land of Canaan. Deuteronomy 1 reveals
what lay behind their grumbling. The Israelites grumbled in their tents: “Because
the LORD hated us, he brought us out of Egypt to deliver us into the hands of
the Amorites to destroy us” (Deut. 1:27).
What an astonishing statement. God
had not brought them out of Egypt because He hated them. He had saved them
because He loved them. But unbelief
distorted their thinking. They
interpreted God’s love as hatred. They
interpreted God’s salvation as death. They
interpreted God’s guidance as abandonment.
So Moses clearly identified their problem: “In spite of this, you did
not trust in the LORD your God” (Deut. 1:32).
At the deepest root of their grumbling was a heart that did not trust
God. They did not trust God’s goodness. They did not trust God’s promises. They did not trust that God was going ahead
of them. As a result, the difficulties
before their eyes looked greater than God’s promises. The same is true of us. When grumbling rises within us, it is not
enough simply to close our mouths and say, “I shouldn’t complain.” We must first ask ourselves: “Am I trusting
God right now?” “Do I believe in God’s
goodness?” “Am I thinking that God has
abandoned me?” “Do I believe that God is
still at work even in circumstances I do not understand?” Ultimately, emptying ourselves of grumbling
means learning to trust God again.
Distrust
Can Lead to Disobedience, and Disobedience to Dissatisfaction
Deuteronomy 1:26 says of
the Israelites: “But you were unwilling to go up; you rebelled against the
command of the LORD your God.” God told
them to go up into Canaan. But they did
not believe. Because they did not
believe, they did not obey. And while
refusing to obey, they grumbled about the circumstances in which they found
themselves. Here we can see a pattern. Unbelief gives birth to disobedience,
disobedience can lead to dissatisfaction, and dissatisfaction can express
itself as grumbling. Of course, we
cannot say that every instance of grumbling always develops in exactly this
order. Our hearts may genuinely hurt
because we have suffered injustice or been treated unfairly. Yet through the example of Israel in
Scripture, we can at least ask ourselves: “Is the reason I am grumbling really
only because of my circumstances?” “Is
it because things did not go the way I wanted?”
“Is it because I am holding more tightly to my will than to God’s will?” “Is it because I do not trust that God knows
better than I do?” We must not try
merely to correct grumbling lips. We must examine its roots before God.
Grumbling
Makes the “Egypt” of the Past Look Beautiful
In Numbers 20, the
Israelites grumbled against Moses because of the hardships of the wilderness. At first, they complained about their present
difficulties. Then, little by little,
they began looking backward. Finally,
they said: “Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to this terrible place?” (Num.
20:5). Egypt had not been a good place
for them. It was the place where they
had lived as slaves. It was the place
where they had suffered hard labor and oppression. It was the place from which God had delivered
them after hearing their cries. But when
life in the wilderness became difficult, Egypt began to look good. Grumbling can even alter our memories. Present pain looks enormous, while past pain
begins to look small. The same thing can
happen in our lives today. If our
present marriage is difficult, we may think life was better when we were
single. If our present job is difficult,
we may think our previous job was much better.
If we are dissatisfied with our present church, we may remember our
former church as though it had no problems at all. When the life of faith becomes difficult, we
may even begin to think that life before believing in Jesus was freer and
better. But faith does not return to the
Egypt of the past. Faith remembers where
God delivered us from. And faith looks
toward the path on which God will lead us in the future. Grumbling looks toward Egypt, but faith looks
toward God’s promise.
Grumbling
Makes Us Forget God’s Grace
The Israelites crossed
the Red Sea. They saw with their own
eyes as God defeated the Egyptian army. They
praised God. But not long afterward,
when they had no water, they began grumbling again. Exodus 15:24 says: “So the people grumbled
against Moses, saying, ‘What are we to drink?’”
In Exodus 16, they grumbled because of food. In chapter 17, they grumbled again because of
water. They had experienced God’s grace,
but whenever a new difficulty came, they forgot His previous grace. We are the same. God may have answered countless prayers, yet
when one problem arises today, we can forget all His grace. We may have received so much, yet because of
one thing we lack, we can think as though we have received nothing. Grumbling magnifies what we do not have and
minimizes the grace we have already received.
Gratitude does the opposite. It helps us remember the grace we have
already received. Therefore, when
grumbling rises within us, we should ask: “What grace of God am I forgetting
right now?” “How has God led me until
now?” “What has He already given me?” Gratitude does not deny the reality of our
problems. It acknowledges that even in
the presence of problems, God is still my God.
Grumbling
Can Cause Us to Shift Responsibility to Others
In Genesis 3, when God
questioned Adam after he sinned, Adam answered: “The woman you put here with
me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it” (Gen. 3:12). Adam shifted responsibility to the woman. And if we look more deeply, when he said,
“The woman you put here with me,” we can even see him shifting responsibility
toward God. Eve also answered: “The
serpent deceived me, and I ate.” Of
course, we should not reduce Genesis 3 merely to a story about grumbling
between a husband and wife. Yet we can
clearly see the tendency of sinful human beings to blame someone else rather
than acknowledge their own responsibility.
We easily do the same. “I did it
because my spouse did that.” “I became
this way because of my parents.” “The
church made my life difficult.” “That
person started it first.” “Given my
circumstances, I had no choice.” The
other person may indeed have done something wrong. Their responsibility must be addressed
clearly. But another person’s wrongdoing
does not take away responsibility for the sin I committed. A repentant person first examines himself or
herself. “Lord, what did I do wrong?” “What do I need to repent of?” “What do I need to correct?” Emptying ourselves of grumbling does not mean
blaming ourselves for every problem. It
means refusing to escape our own responsibility by blaming someone else.
Grumbling
Can Keep Us from Hearing God’s Voice
Psalm 106:25 says of the
Israelites: “They grumbled in their tents and did not obey the LORD.” Grumbling and failing to listen to the voice
of the LORD appear together. When
grumbling takes hold of us, our own thoughts become too loud. “Why is this all I have?” “Why am I the only one suffering?” “Why is that person like that?” “Why isn’t God doing anything?” When our hearts are filled with such
thoughts, we have no room left to listen to God’s Word. Our problems look greater than God’s
promises. What we lack looks greater
than God’s grace. What we want becomes
more important than what God has done. Therefore,
when grumbling rises within us, we need to stop before God. “Lord, what am I grumbling about right now?” “What am I failing to believe?” “What am I dissatisfied with?” “What are You saying to me right now?” Instead of repeating the voice of grumbling,
we need to listen again to God’s Word.
When
We Bring Our Grumbling to God, It Can Become Prayer
Here we need to make a
very important distinction. Emptying
ourselves of grumbling does not mean that we must not tell God about our pain
and our questions. The Psalms contain
many prayers in which people honestly pour out their pain and frustration
before God. They ask, “Why?” They weep.
They speak of injustice. They do
not hide their suffering. Faith does not
mean pretending that nothing is wrong. It
does not mean pretending to smile when we are sad. It does not mean saying, “I have no
problems,” when life is difficult. The
difference lies in where we take our hearts.
If we continually spread our grievances among people, they can become
gossip and division. If we repeatedly
nurture them in our hearts, they can harden into hatred and grumbling. But when we bring them to God, they can
become prayer: “Lord, I am having such a hard time right now.” “I do not understand this.” “My heart hurts because of that person.” “I am angry too.” “I do not know why this happened.” Speak honestly to God. But do not stop there. Examine your heart before His Word. Seek God’s will. Come to God with your grumbling, but do not
return carrying that grumbling unchanged in your heart.
Not
Every Expression of a Problem Should Be Called “Grumbling”
There is another very
important truth we must remember when dealing with grumbling. Not every complaint or raising of a problem
is sinful grumbling. In Acts 6, a real
problem arose within the early church. The
widows among the Hellenistic Jews were being overlooked in the daily
distribution of food. So the Hellenistic
Jews complained against the Hebraic Jews.
The apostles did not respond by saying, “You are complaining because you
lack faith, so be quiet.” They examined
whether there was a real problem. Then
they corrected the ministry structure. They
appointed seven men full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom to oversee the
distribution, while the apostles devoted themselves more fully to prayer and
the ministry of the Word. As a result,
the Word of God spread, and the number of disciples increased greatly. The complaint could have become a spark that
destroyed the community, but when the leaders examined and corrected the real
problem within it, it instead became an opportunity to build a healthier
church. Therefore, we must look in both
directions. The person raising a
complaint must examine his or her heart before God, and the person hearing the
complaint must also examine his or her own shortcomings before God. The speaker must not dress every
dissatisfaction in the clothing of righteousness. But the listener must not silence every
concern by labeling it “grumbling.” “Is
there a real problem here that needs to be corrected?” “Am I calling this grumbling simply because I
do not want to hear it?” “What is God
showing us through this problem?” We
need to be able to ask such questions.
In
the Family, Listen to the Heart Behind the Grumbling
The family is also one of
the places where resentment and grumbling accumulate most easily.
A husband may think: “My wife does
not respect me.” A wife may think: “My
husband does not love me.” Parents may
resent their children, and children may resent their parents. The problem is that when grumbling is
repeated, we begin hearing only one another’s wounds rather than one another’s
words. When a spouse expresses
dissatisfaction, we may immediately want to argue back: “You’re exactly the
same.” “You did it first.” “I did nothing wrong.” But sometimes we need to listen first. “Why has your heart become so burdened?” “What have I been missing?” “What have I done wrong?” “What do we need to correct before God?” This does not mean that everything our spouse
says is right. But we need to listen for
whether there is real pain behind those words.
And if we have done something wrong, we need to apologize. A husband must be able to apologize to his
wife. Parents must be able to apologize
to their children. The goal is not to
win against words of complaint. The goal is to restore the relationship. At the same time, we must not expect our
spouse or family to meet every need we have.
Ultimate satisfaction comes from God.
Love your family, but do not demand that your family fill the place that
only God can fill.
Leaders
Should Listen First Rather Than Defend Themselves Against Complaints
Complaints can also be
heard within the church. When leaders
hear them, their hearts may hurt. “I
have served so hard.” “Why does no one
recognize what I have done?” “Why are
those people not grateful?” Such
thoughts may arise. But if a leader
receives every concern as a personal attack, he or she may fail to hear
something that needs to be heard. When
the apostles in Acts 6 heard the complaint, they first examined the problem. That does not mean every criticism is
correct. Sometimes people may say things
that are factually wrong. There may also
be unfair criticism. Nevertheless, a
leader should first ask before God: “Lord, is there something I need to see
through these words?” “Is there
something we need to correct?” “Is there
someone I have overlooked?” And if the
leader has been hurt by unfair words, that hurt should be taken to God rather
than spread among other members of the church.
We must be careful not to allow a leader’s wound to become the wound of
the entire community. It is not wise to
accept every complaint without discernment, but neither is it wise to shut down
every complaint automatically. We must
discern before the Word, correct what needs to be corrected, and entrust to God
what needs to be entrusted to Him.
We
Must Cultivate the Habit of Gratitude Instead of Grumbling
Philippians 2:14 says: “Do
everything without grumbling or arguing.”
Grumbling becomes a habit when repeated.
At first, it may be a complaint about one thing, but eventually we can
become people who complain about everything.
Even when something good happens, we see first what is lacking. We see people’s weaknesses before their
strengths. We look for something to
complain about before something for which to give thanks. Therefore, if we are to empty ourselves of
grumbling, we must intentionally train ourselves in gratitude. When you wake up in the morning, give thanks:
“Thank You for giving me life again today.”
Give thanks in your family: “Thank You for giving me a family with whom
I can share life.” Give thanks in the
church: “Though we are not perfect, thank You for giving me a community with
whom I can worship.” Give thanks at
work: “Thank You for giving me the opportunity and strength to work today.” Even in difficulty, confess: “Lord, I do not
understand right now, but I believe that You are with me even in this
situation.” Gratitude does not beautify
reality falsely. Nor does it deny pain. Gratitude is not a confession we make because
everything has turned out the way we wanted.
It is a confession of faith that holds on to the truth that God is good
even when things do not go the way we want.
Become
a Worshiper Who Acknowledges God’s Sovereignty Instead of Grumbling
Job experienced
overwhelming suffering in a single day. He
lost his possessions. He lost his
children. His grief was real. Job 1:20 says that he tore his robe and
shaved his head. He did not pretend that
he was not hurting. Yet in the midst of
his pain, he fell before God and worshiped.
This is important.
Faith does not mean the absence of
sorrow. It does not mean the absence of
questions. It does not mean
understanding every circumstance. Faith
means not letting go of God even in circumstances we do not understand. We too can pray: “Lord, I do not understand
right now. But I trust You.” “Even when
things do not go the way I want, God is good.”
“Even when I do not know every reason, I believe that You know.” “I will not remain in grumbling; I will
worship God.” A true worshiper is not
someone whose every circumstance has unfolded according to his or her will. A true worshiper is someone who holds on to
God’s sovereignty and goodness even when circumstances do not unfold according
to his or her will.
Principles and Practical Guidelines
for Emptying “Grumbling”
How, then, can we empty
ourselves of grumbling in everyday life?
Emptying ourselves of grumbling is not completed by a single decision. Whenever grumbling rises within us, we need
the discipline of examining our hearts, bringing them to God, emptying
ourselves of distrust and dissatisfaction, and filling that place with faith
and gratitude.
1.
When
Grumbling Rises, Examine Your Own Heart First
When something happens
that makes us want to grumble, we easily begin by looking for what someone else
did wrong. Instead, first ask: “What am
I grumbling about right now?” “Is it
because something I wanted did not happen?”
“Is it because of fear?” “Is it
because of comparison?” “Is it because I
have been hurt?” “Is it because I am
failing to trust God?” Even if another
person has done something wrong, first examine your own heart before God. If you have done something wrong, acknowledge
it. If there is something to repent of,
repent. A moment of grumbling can become
not merely a time to search for someone else’s fault, but a time to examine
your own heart before God.
2.
Bring
Your Grumbling to God Before Spreading It to People
When our hearts are
hurting, it is natural to want to talk to someone. Sometimes we need to seek help and counsel
from someone trustworthy. But we must
not repeatedly spread our grievances among many people in order to gather
people to our side. Rather than solving
the problem, that can spread distrust and division through the community. Bring it to God first. Speak honestly to Him. You may cry.
You may tell Him how frustrated you are.
But also examine your own heart before His Word. And when necessary, have a conversation aimed
at resolving the problem rather than gossiping about it. Do not spread your grumbling among people.
Bring it to God and turn it into prayer.
3.
Do
Not Romanticize the “Egypt” of the Past; Remember the Grace You Have Received
Until Now
When the present is
difficult, the past may look better. But
do not allow grumbling to distort your past.
Remember where God delivered you from.
Remember the grace with which He has led you until now. Remember the prayers He answered. Remember the times He held you up when life
was difficult. And pray: “Lord, empty me
of the desire to return to the Egypt of the past. Help me to look to You, the
God who is with me even now, and to trust the path on which You will lead me.” Grumbling clings to the past, but faith
clings to God’s promise.
4.
When
Raising a Problem, Seek Restoration Rather Than Blame
When something is
genuinely wrong, there are times when it must be addressed. This is true in the family, in the church,
and in the workplace. Emptying ourselves
of grumbling does not mean that we must silently endure injustice or remain
silent about everything. But when we
raise a problem, we need to examine our purpose. “Am I trying to attack this person, or am I
trying to solve the problem?” “Am I
trying to gather people to my side, or am I trying to speak honestly with the
person involved?” “Do I want to tear the
other person down, or do I want the relationship and community to become
healthy?” The person listening to the
concern should also ask before becoming defensive: “Is there something in these
words that I need to hear?” The speaker
should examine his or her own heart, and the listener should examine the actual
problem. When both happen together, a
voice of complaint can become an opportunity for repentance and change.
5.
Fill
the Place of Grumbling with Gratitude and Faith
It is not enough merely
to empty ourselves of grumbling. What
fills that place matters. Empty distrust
and fill it with faith. Empty
dissatisfaction and fill it with contentment.
Empty blame and fill it with love.
Empty fear and fill it with prayer.
Empty grumbling and fill it with gratitude and praise. At the end of each day, ask yourself: “What
did I grumble about today?” “Whom did I
blame?” “What was at the root of that
grumbling?” “Did I bring it to God?” “What do I need to repent of?” “What can I thank God for today?” As we repeatedly ask these questions before
God, our hearts will gradually change. But
we cannot empty ourselves of grumbling by our own willpower alone. When pain is deep, when the sense of
injustice is great, and when circumstances do not change even after a long
period of waiting, our hearts are easily shaken. That is why we need the help of the Holy
Spirit. The Holy Spirit must shine His
light into our hearts and show us the distrust and dissatisfaction at the root
of our grumbling. He must remind us of
the grace of God we have forgotten. He
must enable us to hear God’s Word again and sustain us so that we can trust God
even in circumstances we cannot understand.
Therefore, we can pray: “Lord, show me the grumbling in my heart. Do not let me blame people and circumstances
while failing to see the distrust and dissatisfaction within my own heart. Help me honestly acknowledge and repent of
what I have done wrong, while also keeping me from taking responsibility for
the wrongs of others as though they were mine. Instead of spreading my pain and
disappointment among people, help me bring them first to You. Help me remember the grace I have forgotten,
and do not let me long for the Egypt of the past. Even in circumstances I do not understand
right now, help me trust Your goodness, and fill my heart, emptied of
grumbling, with faith, gratitude, and praise.”
Emptying ourselves of
grumbling does not mean living as though there were no problems. It does not mean hiding our pain. It does not mean remaining silent no matter
how unjustly we are treated. Emptying
grumbling means bringing our pain and dissatisfaction honestly to God while
refusing to allow that pain to harden into distrust and accusation toward God
and people. It means correcting what I
need to correct, speaking in love about what needs to be said to another
person, and entrusting to God what needs to be entrusted to Him. Grumbling says: “Why are things not going the
way I want?” But faith confesses:
“Even though I do not understand
right now, I will trust God.” Grumbling
makes us look at what we lack.
Gratitude helps us remember the grace
we have already received. Grumbling
makes us look back toward the Egypt of the past. Faith looks toward the path on which God will
lead us. Grumbling looks first for
someone else’s responsibility. Repentance
first examines ourselves before God. Therefore,
when grumbling rises in your heart today, do not hide it, and do not spread it
among people. Bring it to God. Examine your heart before His Word. Repent of what needs to be repented of. Correct what needs to be corrected. Remember what you have to be thankful for. And trust God again. Grumbling asks: “Why are things not going the
way I want?” Faith asks: “How can I
trust God even in this situation?” Emptying
ourselves of grumbling and filling that place with faith, gratitude, and praise
toward God—this is the path of “emptying grumbling” that we must walk every
day.
댓글
댓글 쓰기