기본 콘텐츠로 건너뛰기

The Most Valuable Life in God’s Sight Is One That Begins with “Bearing Witness to Jesus Christ” and Ends with It!

The Most Valuable Life in God’s Sight Is One That Begins with “Bearing Witness to Jesus Christ” and Ends with It!         “There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness about the Light, that all might believe through him. He was not the Light, but came to bear witness about the Light.” (John 1:6–8)     (1)     When I read today’s passage, John 1:6–8, in both the Korean Bible and the Greek Bible, the first thought that came to my mind was that the Gospel of Luke records specific details about John the Baptist. Therefore, I would first like to briefly summarize what Luke records about John the Baptist and then meditate on John the Baptist as he is presented in today’s passage, John 1:6–8.   1.        John the Baptist as Recorded in the Gospel of Luke — A Brief Summary   Among the four Gospels, Luke gives the most historical and detailed a...

The Most Valuable Life in God’s Sight Is One That Begins with “Bearing Witness to Jesus Christ” and Ends with It!

The Most Valuable Life in God’s Sight Is One That Begins with “Bearing Witness to Jesus Christ” and Ends with It!

 

 

 

 

“There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness about the Light, that all might believe through him. He was not the Light, but came to bear witness about the Light.” (John 1:6–8)

 

 

(1)    When I read today’s passage, John 1:6–8, in both the Korean Bible and the Greek Bible, the first thought that came to my mind was that the Gospel of Luke records specific details about John the Baptist. Therefore, I would first like to briefly summarize what Luke records about John the Baptist and then meditate on John the Baptist as he is presented in today’s passage, John 1:6–8.

 

1.       John the Baptist as Recorded in the Gospel of Luke — A Brief Summary

 

Among the four Gospels, Luke gives the most historical and detailed account of the background of John the Baptist’s birth and the nature of his ministry.

 

His miraculous birth and identity (Luke 1): John was born to Zechariah the priest and Elizabeth, and he was filled with the Holy Spirit even before his birth.  The angel prophesied concerning his identity, saying that he would “go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah ... to make ready a people prepared for the Lord” (Lk. 1:17).

 

The voice crying in the wilderness and his ministry of repentance (Luke 3): At a specific point in history, during the reign of Emperor Tiberius, the word of God came to John in the wilderness. He preached “a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins” and fulfilled the ministry of making straight the way of the Messiah.

 

Thorough humility and testimony concerning the Messiah: When the people mistakenly wondered whether John might be the Messiah, he declared: “I baptize you with water, but One who is more powerful than I is coming, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie” (Lk. 3:16).  In this way, he exalted Jesus Christ alone (Internet).

 

(a)    Here I would like to consider, even if only briefly, the more specific meaning of the fact that John the Baptist, who was filled with the Holy Spirit and whose calling was to “make ready a people prepared for the Lord” (Lk. 1:17), fulfilled the ministry of making straight the way of the Messiah (Christ) by preaching “a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.”

 

(i)                 In the Gospel of Luke, the specific meaning of John the Baptist’s ministry of “preaching a baptism of repentance in order to make straight the way of the Lord” was that he was plowing the hardened soil of the hearts of the Jewish people of his day so that they might be brought into the best spiritual condition to receive the Messiah.  Artificial intelligence briefly summarized this specific meaning in the following three key points (Internet):

 

a.       Cleansing the Heart for the “Forgiveness of Sins”

 

The Jews of that time were caught up in their ethnic pride as descendants of Abraham and believed themselves to be righteous.  The “baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins” proclaimed by John the Baptist was a great spiritual cleansing that brought them, before receiving the Messiah, to the painful realization and confession: “I too am a sinner who cannot escape God’s judgment.”  Only when people realize that they are sinners will they long for the Messiah—the Savior—who forgives sins.

 

b.      An Illustration Drawn from the Ancient Roman Practice of “Building a Highway” for a King

 

The expression, “Prepare the way of the Lord; make His paths straight” (Lk. 3:4), comes from the ancient custom in which, when a king was going to visit a particular region, his servants would go ahead of him, straighten crooked roads, fill in hollows, and build a highway on which the king’s chariot could travel.  John carried out a ministry of building a highway in the human heart: lowering the mountains of pride within the Jewish people, filling the valleys of discouragement and despair, and straightening the stubborn crookedness of their hearts.

 

c.       Leading People to a Radical Transformation of Heart (Repentance) through the “Fullness of the Holy Spirit”

 

The Greek word for repentance, metanoia (μετάνοια), does not simply refer to tears of regret. It means “turning one’s thinking and the direction of one’s life by 180 degrees.”  John prepared the people in a practical way, not through human willpower but through the abundant power of the Holy Spirit with whom he had been filled from his mother’s womb. He turned the hearts of the people toward their fathers and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous (Lk. 1:17), thereby turning them toward a God-centered life.

 

Summary in one sentence:

John the Baptist’s making straight the way of the Messiah was a ministry of plowing the soil of human hearts so that people could fully receive Jesus Christ, who would come as “Light and Life,” by breaking down their hardened pride through the power of the Holy Spirit and bringing them to confess that they were sinners (Internet).

 

·         I receive from this the lesson that we too, like John the Baptist, must quietly and faithfully carry out the ministry of plowing the soil of the hearts of the Lord’s people, as we fulfill our ministry of making straight the way for the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Then how should we carry out this ministry under the guidance of the Holy Spirit?

 

1.       Plowing with Our Knees — The Ministry of Prayer: Preparing a Highway through Tearful Prayer

 

Plowing the soil of people’s hearts cannot be accomplished through human persuasion or eloquence. It is possible only through the work of the Holy Spirit.  Therefore, the first thing we must do is intercede for souls.

 

Concrete practice: We must embrace in our hearts our family members, neighbors, and this generation whose hearts have become hardened and who reject God, and bend our knees in prayer so that the refreshing rain of the Holy Spirit may fall upon them.  As we plow the rocky soil of their hardened hearts through prayer, the Holy Spirit softens their hearts and prepares them to receive the Lord’s return and the gospel.

 

2.       Plowing through Our Lives — Everyday Testimony: Making the Gospel Attractive through the Way We Live

 

John the Baptist did not merely cry out for repentance with his words. In the wilderness he wore clothing made of camel’s hair, ate wild honey, and lived a “set-apart life” that rejected the temptations of the world (Lk. 3:4).

 

Concrete practice: If we live with the same greed as the world and with the same anxiety as the world, no one will listen to our proclamation.  But when, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we demonstrate honesty, contentment, gentleness, and quiet service in our everyday lives, that life itself becomes a powerful ministry of plowing that cuts down and straightens the crookedness of people’s hearts—their pride and discouragement.  We need the testimony of a life that causes others to say: “People who believe in Jesus really are different.”

 

3.       Plowing through Our Words — Proclaiming Repentance and Hope: Bearing Witness to the True Light Whether the Time Is Favorable or Not

 

John the Baptist proclaimed without compromise both a “message of repentance,” confronting people’s sins without being controlled by their opinions, and a “message of hope,” pointing them to the Messiah who was coming.

Concrete practice: As those preparing for the Lord who will come again, we must quietly but firmly communicate, in the places where we live, the biblical truth that the values of this world—materialism and hedonism—lead down the path of spiritual death.  At the same time, with our lips we must boldly proclaim and bear witness to the hope that: “True peace and eternal life are found only in Jesus Christ.”

 

One-Sentence Summary and Application

 

“When I kneel in prayer in the smallest places of everyday life, reflect the Light through my character, and bear witness to Jesus with my lips, the Holy Spirit powerfully builds through me the highway for the Lord who is coming again.”

 

I believe that God’s astonishing work of salvation will take place through us as we quietly carry out this ministry of plowing, without trying to become the central figure—the Light—but looking only toward the return of the Lord (Internet).

 

(2)    Second, as I meditate on the words in today’s passage, John 1:6, “a man sent from God” [ἄνθρωπος ἀπεσταλμένος παρὰ θεοῦ (anthrōpos apestalmenos para theou)], I want to receive the lesson that these words give us.  In particular, as I meditate on the fact that the Greek word translated “sent” is ἀπεσταλμένος (apestalmenos), I am reminded of Jesus’ twelve “apostles” [ἀπόστολοι (apostoloi)].  Then what are the similarities and differences between John the Baptist and the twelve apostles?

 

(a)    John the Baptist and the twelve apostles both share the great identity of being “those who were sent,” yet according to their respective positions in redemptive history, they have remarkable similarities as well as clear differences.  Artificial intelligence organized the comparison and the lessons it gives us as follows (Internet):

 

1.       Similarities between John the Baptist and the Twelve Apostles — Their Shared Mission

Origin of their sending: John the Baptist was sent “from God” [παρὰ θεοῦ (para theou)] (Jn. 1:6), while the twelve apostles were directly sent by Jesus Christ, who is God (Mt. 10:5).  Both were commissioned according to the sovereign plan of heaven.

 

Content of their testimony: Their mission was one and the same: to testify that Jesus Christ is the true Light and the Son of God.  They lived as representatives who did not reveal themselves but revealed the One who sent them.

 

Self-denial and martyrdom — Sacrifice: John was beheaded after confronting King Herod’s unrighteousness, and most of the twelve apostles likewise suffered martyrdom while preaching the gospel.  The end of the life of one who has been sent—an apostolic life—is not earthly glory but thorough sacrifice for the Lord.

 

2.       Differences between John the Baptist and the Twelve Apostles — Their Positions in Redemptive History

 

John the Baptist stood at the conclusion of the Old Testament era as the final prophet of the Law and the Prophets. His role was to prepare the way for the Messiah who was to come and to introduce the beginning of Christ’s public ministry to the people of Israel.

 

The twelve apostles, by contrast, were those who laid the foundation of the church that opened the New Testament era.  Their role was to proclaim beyond Jerusalem and to the ends of the earth the accomplished salvation of Jesus Christ—who had already come to this earth, died on the cross, and risen from the dead—and the work of the Holy Spirit.

 

In other words, if John the Baptist was a watchman who closed the door of the Old Testament while looking toward the shadow and beginning of the Messiah, the twelve apostles were witnesses who opened the door of the New Testament by personally witnessing and proclaiming the fulfillment of the completed gospel.  This is their difference in redemptive history.

 

3.       Three Powerful Lessons for Us

 

① “None of Us Was Born into This World by Accident.”

Just as John the Baptist was “a man sent from God,” we who believe in Jesus Christ are also “sent ones”—sent into our families, our workplaces, and this generation.  My life is not a series of accidents. It is a precious life containing God’s sacred Mission, His commission to send me.

 

② “We Have Been Given a Privilege Even More Blessed than John’s in the Old Testament Era.”

 

Jesus said: “Among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he” (Mt. 11:11).  John saw only the shadow and beginning of the Messiah, but we, standing on the foundation of the apostles, have the privilege of fully enjoying and proclaiming the perfect gospel of Christ’s cross, the victory of His resurrection, and the grace of the indwelling Holy Spirit.  We therefore bear the responsibility of proclaiming an even clearer Light than John did.

 

③ “The Authority of the One Who Is Sent Comes from the One Who Sends Him.”

 

The reason John and the apostles could be bold was not because they had impressive backgrounds but because the One who sent them was God.  We must remember this when we feel small or intimidated in the world today.  The One who has sent me into the world is God, the King of the entire universe.  Therefore, strengthened by the authority of the One who sent me, I must live confidently today as well.

 

Final Application of Today’s Meditation to Myself: “What Kind of ‘Ambassador’ Will I Be Today?”

 

I am reminded of Jesus’ Great Commission recorded by the apostle John in John 20:21: “As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.”

 

The DNA of being “one who has been sent,” which characterized John the Baptist and the apostles, now flows within us as well.  I must look upon the places where I set my feet today—my workplace, my home, and my encounters with people—not simply as places where I make a living, but as “mission fields to which God has sent me.”  And there I must live today as one who has been sent, quietly revealing the Lord’s love and integrity (Internet).

 

(3)    Third and last, as I meditate on today’s passage, John 1:7–8, the following structure came to mind [This structure is called a “Chiasmus” (chiastic structure). It is a rhetorical technique in which words or contextual elements are arranged in a crossing, X-shaped symmetrical pattern.  After presenting the first word or concept (A) and the second word or concept (B), they are subsequently arranged in reverse order, forming a mirror pattern of A–B–B′–A′.  The name comes from the shape of the Greek letter X (chi), and this structure was widely used in the Bible and other ancient literature to emphasize a theme and make it easier to remember]:

 

A — He came as a witness, to bear witness about the Light
      B — that all might believe through him
      B′ — He was not the Light
A′ — but came to bear witness about the Light.

 

This structure teaches us at least three things: (a) John the Baptist came to bear witness concerning the “Light” (v. 7), or “this Light” (v. 8) [cf. “the Life was the Light of men” (v. 4)].  (b) “He was not the Light” [οὐκ ἦν ἐκεῖνος τὸ φῶς (ouk ēn ekeinos to phōs)] (v. 8).  (c) The purpose of bearing witness to the Light was “that all might believe through him” [ἵνα πάντες πιστεύσωσιν δι’ αὐτοῦ (hina pantes pisteusōsin di’ autou)] (v. 7).  I would like to consider these three truths in greater detail and receive the lessons they give us.

 

(a)    By placing “mission—as a channel” (B) and “self-denial—humility” (B′) at the very center of this carefully constructed literary structure, the apostle John powerfully communicates the attitude that a witness must possess.  Here are the specific meanings and spiritual lessons of these three key points (Internet):

 

1.       One Who Came to Bear Witness to the True Light — The Structural Conclusion of A and A′

 

Specific meaning: John did not come to create a stage for himself or to tell his own story.  Just as both the beginning (A) and the ending (A′) of the structure are enclosed by the statement that he “came to bear witness about the Light,” his entire life was fixed upon one focus alone: Jesus Christ, the True Light.

 

Specific lesson: This teaches us that our lives likewise should structurally begin with “bearing witness to Jesus Christ” and end with it.  When the introduction and conclusion of my life are surrounded solely by the purpose of revealing the Lord, that life becomes the safest and most valuable life.

 

2.       “He Was Not the Light” — The Self-Denial of B′

 

Specific meaning: The original expression, οὐκ ἦν ἐκεῖνος τὸ φῶς (ouk ēn ekeinos to phōs), is a very decisive and precise negation.  The demonstrative pronoun “he” (ekeinos) pushes John the Baptist away from the center and declares that he could never be the essential “Light” (to phōs).  Although John enjoyed tremendous popularity and respect among the people of his time, he never coveted the place of the central figure.

 

Specific lesson: This shows us how important it is to maintain a proper boundary of humility in ministry and in life.  As soon as some ability appears in us or we receive praise, we are tempted to imagine that we ourselves are the “Light” and to seize the glory.  But a true witness knows how to confess: “I am not the Light. I am only a mirror reflecting the Light.”  Such a person knows how to hide behind the glory of the Lord.

 

3.       “That All Might Believe through Him” — The Mission and Channel of B

 

Specific meaning: In the original expression, ἵνα πάντες πιστεύσωσιν δι’ αὐτοῦ (hina pantes pisteusōsin di’ autou), the key is the preposition δι’ (di’), “through.”  John the Baptist was a spiritual stepping-stone and bridge connecting people so that they might believe in Jesus.  The ultimate purpose of his crying out in the wilderness and administering the baptism of repentance was not to gather followers around himself but to lead everyone to Jesus.

 

Specific lesson: The purpose for which God first called us and then left us in this world is to use us as “channels of blessing and faith.”  That my family and my neighbors might come to believe in Jesus, the True Light, through my life—this is the greatest purpose for the existence of a person who has been sent into this world.

 

Final Lesson from the Chiastic Structure: “Only when I pass through thorough self-denial—‘I am not the Light’ (B′)—can I finally become a faithful channel of faith (B) who leads others to Jesus, the True Light.”

 

Unless I empty myself, people will see “me” rather than the Lord, and the channel will become blocked.  Because John the Baptist erased himself so completely, he could become the most effective stepping-stone (Internet).

 

(i)                 The lesson I receive here is that, if our lives are to become the most valuable lives in God’s sight, they must begin with “bearing witness to Jesus Christ” and end with it.  And something extremely important in such a life of testimony is that we must continually empty ourselves through thorough self-denial.  How, then, can we put this lesson into concrete practice?

 

a.       Enclosing the Structure of Each Day with “A–A′” — A Life of Testimony: A Morning and Evening Routine

 

This is the discipline of beginning and ending each day with “a life that reveals the Lord,” just as in the structure of John 1:7–8.

 

Morning practice (A — Beginning): As soon as I open my eyes, rather than looking at my smartphone or first meditating on the worries of the world, I begin quietly with this confession: “Lord, You are the introduction to my life today as well. Please make me a channel that reflects Your True Light to every person I meet today.”

 

Evening practice (A′ — Ending): As I lie in bed at the end of the day, I return to the Lord all the glory for everything that happened that day.  I offer to the Lord the praise I received for the things I did well, and I go to sleep after allowing all the residue of feelings from things that were unfair or difficult to be burned away before the Lord, who is the Light.

b.      Practicing Thorough Self-Denial (B′): Erasing “My Name” and Writing “the Lord’s Name”

 

Whenever the desire to prove myself, to be recognized, or to become the central figure raises its head in daily life, I must remember John the Baptist stepping off the stage: οὐκ ἦν — “I am not the Light.”

 

Letting go of the desire for recognition: If I have worked hard and served diligently at home, at church, or at work, but no one recognizes what I have done, and I begin to feel hurt, that is a sign that I was trying to become the “Light.”  At that moment I should declare inwardly: “That’s right. I am not the Light. The Lord is the Light, and I am only a mirror. If the Lord alone has been revealed, that is enough.”

 

Changing my habits of speech: I should intentionally reduce “I”-centered expressions in conversation, such as: “I know because I’ve done it before,”
or “Back when I...”  Instead of boasting about my success and wisdom, I should naturally train my lips to confess: “By the grace of God,” and “Because the Lord gave me wisdom.”  This is a concrete discipline of language through which I empty myself.

 

c.       Practicing Being a Faithful Channel (B): Becoming a “Stepping-Stone” for the People around Me

 

This is how we live the life of di’ autou—“through him”: leading others to Jesus without making ourselves the center.

 

Becoming a listening bridge: When someone who is discouraged comes to me and shares his or her struggles, I should not hastily give an answer from my own knowledge and experience in order to display myself.  Instead, I should quietly listen with the heart of the Holy Spirit and, at the end, build a bridge by saying: “I’m sorry that I cannot be all the strength you need. But Jesus, who has always comforted me, is with you. I will pray for you.”

Plowing the soil of hearts through everyday kindness: In order to prepare the way for the Lord who will come again, I should practice small acts of kindness, offer a warm look, and willingly yield even when it costs me something toward the rough and wounded hearts of the people around me today.  Through that channel of kindness, the love of Jesus, the True Light, will seep into their hearts.

 

Final Confession for Today’s Life: “I am not the Light. But so that the True Light who dwells within me may flow through me, today again I will empty myself and offer myself as a channel for the Lord.”

 

When the introduction and conclusion of our lives are filled with Jesus alone, and when we walk day by day on that narrow path of continually emptying ourselves, I believe our lives will become the most valuable and radiant lives in the sight of God (Internet).


댓글